Skip to content

DDRMenu is the official menu of DotNetNuke 6

March 29, 2011

Yes, it was a bit of a surprise to me too! It certainly wasn’t what I envisaged when I started DDRMenu a couple of years ago. Back then it was simply the case that the built in menus didn’t seem to be quite up to the job, and since I was getting into jQuery I thought I’d see if I could use it to rewrite DNNMenu. Having done that, it was a natural progression to a SolPart replacement, and once there were two layouts then a templated solution was the obvious next step. I then decided to release it for public use, and I finally plucked up the courage to open source it relatively recently.

Anyway, it seems that an open source solution with extensibility points ties in well with the DNN ethos, and so the fine fellows at DNN Corp have taken the decision to make DDRMenu the default option in the next release. In other words, the default skin will use DDRMenu, as will other areas of the core where menus are used.

Moving forward, this means that while I’ll still be responsible for DDRMenu I’ll be working closely with Joe and the team to make sure it has all the features and templates needed to make DNN 6 the best it can be. So look forward in the near future to Razor and token-based templating options, at least one mega-menu template, and even some much needed fresh documentation!

From a practical point of view, to avoid getting too swamped by support requests, at some point I’ll be migrating the menu off the DNNGarden site onto its new home at CodePlex. Hopefully the community can then muck in to help out as they have in the past with DNNMenu. This will, of course, mean I’ll have room on the DNNGarden site for lots of exciting new modules, so keep an eye out for developments on that front too!

In the meantime, all that remains for now is for me to thank DNN Corp for choosing DDRMenu, and also for inviting me to join the core team. Cheers!

Advertisements
11 Comments leave one →
  1. March 29, 2011 15:00

Welcome to the team. Really looking forward to where this menu is going next. Token and Razor support are definitely much anticipated.

2. March 29, 2011 15:12

This is definitely great news for the community – thanks for taking the time to craft and share a solution that just works (and makes sense) for so many people.

3. March 29, 2011 15:23

Mark,
    Congrats – CoolCoyotes was fortunate enough to work with you on a recent DNN menu need – this sounds like a great move for all.

4. March 29, 2011 15:55

Congrats!

5. March 29, 2011 15:59

Sweet! Well deserved. I got some ideas for things I’d like to contribute.

6. mrswoop permalink
    April 1, 2011 20:51

I can’t say enough about how pleased I am to see this happen. It’s a testimony not only to your great effort and open source contribution, but also to demonstrate DotNetNuke’s continued embrace of contribution and recognition of exceptional achievement! It’s easy to underestimate the complexities of making this kind of stuff happen and still provide both the rights and protections needed for authors, etc. And coordination of future efforts such that product direction is not confusing for contributors, maintainers or users. We really appreciate both your contribution and willingness to work though those challenges. Nice going, Mark!

Scott Willhite, Director of Community Programs, DotNetNuke

7. April 4, 2011 15:40

sweet! good work, want to try out the razor stuff! It could have so many usefull uses, you should endevour to produce some sort of data source module! kinda like reports module but better! which could create database update forms on the fly/ output data.

8. March 15, 2012 18:46

I installed today and I dnn6 brings two menu options (standard and megamenu) want to know how I can do to show me the menu so as seen in: http://www.dotnetnuke.com.
    thanks

• March 17, 2012 16:53

Hi Carlos, the menu on the main DNN site is a custom template that they produced in-house. If you want to know how to get a similar menu yourself, the best place to ask is the forums or Community Exchange on http://www.dotnetnuke.com.