Skip to content

Moving forward with DDRMenu 2.0

April 5, 2011

I’m pleased to report that as of the new beta 3 release, DDRMenu 2.0 is pretty much feature complete. As well as the XSLT templates that you know and love (everybody loves XSLT, don’t they?), there are now options for token-based templates and Razor templates (if you have the Razor Host module installed).

For now, the new template options are described on the DDRMenu documentation page, so please do take a look and let me know what you think, even if you haven’t got time to try them out yet.

I’ve also set up a DDRMenu templates project on CodePlex to hold starter templates, both simple examples to get you started and more complex templates that you can use as a basis for your own navigation. Anyone who wants to submit their own templates for this collection is more than welcome!

Of course you know what’s coming next – your feedback! Thanks to those who already provided feedback – the quick jump from beta 2 to beta 3 was entirely due to early constructive comments on the token parser. But if you didn’t already, I do encourage you to visit the DDRMenu CodePlex site and raise any issues or feature requests you may have in the discussions section or issue tracker, or at least to vote on the issues already there. Once we get to a final release, it’ll be a lot harder to change things around, so do get in early. In particular, I’m keen to hear thoughts from designers about the token parser – as a programmer, it’s not always easy to work out how complex these things seem to a normal user.

Anyway, I’m off to write some more documentation. I look forward to hearing from you all soon!

Advertisements
7 Comments leave one →
  1. April 5, 2011 14:35

Can we use this on DNN version 5.6.1 and up? Does it require extra configuration, components?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

• April 5, 2011 14:41

Yes, you can use it on any DNN version from 4.5.0 onwards. If you want Razor template support, then you need DNN 5.6.0 or later with the Razor Host module already installed. Other than that, there aren’t any dependencies.

2. April 5, 2011 16:03

And here I thought the “next thing” would be news of your hiring by @DNNCorp! 🙂

• April 5, 2011 16:09

No chance of that I’m afraid, unless they want to hire the whole company!

3. April 13, 2011 11:06

Pieter, There will be some bits that are 6.0 only. We had to make some core changes in 6.0 to enable Large Icon support which we’ll be using for the Admin and Host menus in the Control Panel.

4. Sian permalink
    April 13, 2011 11:27

Hey Mark

I have just started using your stable version on one of my sites, and have a problem with showing the active page in the accordion menu (I emailed your support email about it but haven’t heard from you yet).

Will this next version address this ? IE. will I be able to show the active link in the accordion menu if the user is on that page (using css)?

I am a convert to the menu provider – it answers a lot of teh shortcomings I have had with other menu options like HouseMenu, but this issue is one I really need to solve soon.

Thanks
    Sian

5. demo permalink
    May 23, 2011 06:26

Hi,

When I installed ddr menu and changed in web.config file, I got an error showing “Error- Could not load provider DNNDoneRight.DDRMenu.DDRMenuNavigationProvider, DNNDoneRight.DDRMenu”.
    Please kindly advise me.